Wednesday 18 July 2012

Organizing

How much stuff do we collect??? How much do we think we need and never really use? I was fortunate enough to do my final year University project was on Domestic Squalor and Compulsive Hoarding and some of the things I found out really hit home. I was raised by loving parents who often fought over my mom's collecting of things. I am not refering to simple stamps or ornaments but rather stuff many of us would call junk. My parents divorced when I was 16, and after that point my mom's hoarding got worse. Endless boxes thoughout the house and clothes and junk. My mom now live in a retirement village and when we go to visit there is no where to sit because of the endless boxes, clothes and romance novels (we are talking nearly shoulder height). I have tried in the past to help my mom but it got us no where. I think that is why I love Mr D's organized life. If we don't use something we get rid of it. And when I think that perhaps we need to get extra clothing or toys to "just be prepared" Mr D just smiles and asks if we really need it. Although I must admit I do still get nervous when we have visitors I must admit our house is clean and organized. My bestfriend M.D is also super organized and always on time. Whilst she was here last week we were trading tips on habits we have for organizing our family/life. She loved the fact that I always fold sheet in a set and put them in a pillowcase so I just have to go to the cupboard and grab the pillowcase to make a bed. How do you keep things organized?

No comments:

Post a Comment