Wednesday 26 September 2012

To Graduate or not to Graduate

I was lucky enough to finish an undergraduate Degree awhile ago. It was a Bachelor of Social and Community Studies. I put alot into again that degree. Part of the time I was working part-time whilst studying full time and being a mom to 7 and a full time wife. Some of the time I questioned why I was even trying to do this degree. Sometimes I would cry my eyes out; stressed that whatever work I was handing in wouldn't be good enough or exhusted because I had begged my family for time to complete an assignment for weeks and it didn't come so I had to pull all-night study whilst still doing the rest of the stuff I had to do. Sometimes my all-night study meant that I wouldn't sleep at all for 2 or 3 days. I LOVED the classes, and managed to get a great grade point average which got me on the Golden Key Honors Society and has gotten me into a Masters Degree (Social Work). But, I finished this Undergraduate Degree awhile ago. I have spent this year starting my Masters and withdrawing until next year because of Uterine Cancer. I have just gone through surgery (3 and a half weeks ago) and have been told to take things easy. I would love too, but juggling a family has not allowed me that opportunity. Now, I am suppose to be going through a Graduation Ceremony tomorrow to receive this Undergraduate Degree. I don't want to go!Excuses:- I finished it awhile ago and have moved on, I have NOTHING to wear, taking the kids there will be noisy and stressful, I have to hire a gown and that is going to cost $250, I would rather save the money for our trip to California (which is only 23 days away), I don't like the Lecturer who will be presenting the Degree, I don't like the way I am looking, it will be boring. This list will go on and on and on if I let it. I guess the underlying reasons I don't want to do this are that I am not happy with me, and I didn't finish this Degree "perfectly" (illness meant that I had to take a leave of absense and everybody I studied with have already been through this).

No comments:

Post a Comment