Saturday 14 January 2012

Lessons in life

Sometimes we get taught lessons when we least expect it. The last week has been a week full of lessons for me.
Mr D managed to get the test results back and it looks like a disease called Sarcoidosis. Although I found this a bit of a shock I am feeling comforted by both Mr D's positive attitude and the feeling that God is not far from us. Mr D wants to fight this condition with a positive attitude, medical help and a life style change. So we are trying to eat alot better and to make better lifestyle choices.
Last Monday we decided to just up and go across to the coast for the day. I was so happy that we could (I love just grabbing things at the spur of the moment and taking off away from our everyday problems). We headed across to the Bay and had a beautiful day. The kids love the beach and Becky has no fear. She would chase the waves with pure delight. The carnival was on again and we decided to go when it got dark. The smell of the sea air and the joy on the kids faces was priceless. It was after 10pm when we headed back home. I hit a kangaroo about an hour from home and the car wouldn't start up again. The kangaroo wasn't huge but it managed to do significant damage to the front of the car. We had to have it towed back home and I had to call Scarlett and her partner to come and get the rest of us.
As we drove back home Emily chatted with Scarlett about all the excitment of the carnival rides, and I just watched. It suddenly hit me that my eldest daughter (who turned 18 two days after this) was all grown up. Scarlett is head-strong and determined; so much so, she moved out of home about 18 months ago. My mother has encouraged her wayward behaviour (but that is another story) and Scarlett lives with my mother (some of the time)and her boyfriend (the rest of the time). However, for the first time since she has moved out I actually looked "at Scarlett". I may not approve of her lifestyle choices but she is still my daughter and I love her with all my heart. I saw myself at 20 (when I married her father). Although we were married we still acted like kids, we traveled alot and he was the center of my universe (just like I saw in Scarlett and her partner). I guess these are the lessons we learn in life; we have the freedom to choose and it is up to us what we make of our lives. Scarlett sat there, obviously head over heals in love with her partner; but still loving her family enough to come out after midnight, drive miles and miles to come and help us out. I couldn't help but look at her with pride.
Today is also my eldest son, Richard's birthday. He turns 21 today. Time has gone by so fast. I still rememeber watching the video "Pretty Woman" the night before he was born, as I started to go into labor. I wondered what life would offer him. Where would he be in the years to come? Once again I can't help but thank Our Heavenly Father for my many many blessings and my beautiful family. I am so glad that families can be together forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment